new balance 574 sale, new balance uk, new balance sale uk, cheap new balance sale, discount new balance online outlet store

new balance 574 2000 after bus crash comes toRun off the road and nearly pushed over a cliff by an outofcontrol bus, Nancy Kendell was lucky to live.Seven years later, she still suffers from her injuries. What hurts the 84yearold more is that the man responsible skipped the country after paying just $50 of the $2000 he offered in court to get his sentence reduced.Firefighters cut Mrs Kendell from her car and she was flown by helicopter from Waiwera to North Shore Hospital with a fractured sternum and broken ankle and head injuries that caused a brain haemorrhage. It was the Sunday of Labour Weekend 1996 and holiday traffic backed up north and south on State Highway 1 as Mrs Kendell lay trapped in her car for more than an hour. The bus driver, former longserving traffic officer Anthony Leslie Bateman, blamed an unfamiliar braking system but said he was speeding and lost control as the bus came round the corner and down the hill. Had he not smashed into Mrs Kendell's car, the bus and passengers would probably have gone off the cliff, he said. In court in June the following year, Bateman, 52, admitted careless driving causing injury, expressed remorse and offered to pay Mrs Kendell $2000 compensation. In the six years since she has received just $50. Mrs Kendell said that although her costs associated with the crash were much higher and the price of her pain and disruption to her family immeasurable she accepted Bateman's offer because his lawyer said it was all he could afford. "I'm lucky to be here," she said. "I'm glad I lived to tell the tale." The judge agreed to set the fine at $2000, ordered it all to go to Mrs Kendell, and disqualified Bateman from driving for 18 months. But Bateman then lodged an appeal against his sentence and succeeded in having the disqualification period reduced to 12 months. Payment was delayed until the appeal was heard. But a year later Mrs Kendell had still received nothing. She approached the Courts Department and says she was told Bateman had other outstanding fines, which had to be paid before her reparation. Another year went by and she wrote to the department. Eventually it replied, saying it believed Bateman was in Australia and had not supplied an address.A warrant for his arrest had been issued but could be executed only if he returned to New Zealand. In October 2001, Mrs Kendell received a $50 cheque from the department, with no explanation other than that it was compensation from Bateman. Former workmates of Bateman said all they knew was that he was in Australia, last heard of in Perth, but none knew how to contact him. But the Herald found him, now aged 58, living in Essex, England, and working as a security guard in Maidstone, Kent. He sounded surprised. "I have no idea," he said when first asked whether he would pay the fine. He said he thought the fine was covered by insurance of the Auckland Tramways Union. The union said that was not the case, though it helped Bateman with his legal bills. "That's why I made no attempt to fix Mrs Kendell up," Bateman said. "My understanding is that has been paid, but obviously I'm wrong." He was not aware of a warrant for his arrest. He "wholeheartedly agreed" he should pay the fine so Mrs Kendell received her money, but was "in a bit of a financial bind". Asked why he appealed against the fine when the amount was proposed by him, Bateman said he only challenged the disqualification period. Courts Department staff refused to discuss the matter, including where the $50 came from, or say what efforts they had made over the past six years to find Bateman. That would breach his privacy.